I’ve wondered about trying to sum up some of the trends of the past year, but it’s striking how little has actually happened. Amongst the many things that didn’t happen,
- benefits didn’t get increased with inflation
- people who asked for a mandatory reconsideration of bad decisions generally didn’t get one
- people who were supposedly being transferred to the new Personal Independence Payment didn’t get a decision about whether they were eligible
- people whose benefits were stopped weren’t offered any practical alternative, and
- Universal Credit wasn’t extended to hundreds of thousands of people.
Following government social policy feels at times like I’m sitting and watching a store closing down. Happy New Year.